02 February 2011

slowly but surely.

Last night we got home from San Francisco late, we had the veggies from our farm share sitting in our fridge and we had an old roommate staying the night.  Of course I'm going to cook an awesome dinner for the three of us to relax with after the long journey. Like I have said many times prior, cooking for me is catharsis.  It's Jordan Time.  It's my space of relaxing with my brain, regardless of how difficult it can be.  

I had a wonderful time in San Francisco...on Monday we went into Muir Woods and hiked for 5 hours...it was incredible. The forest was amazing and peaceful and playful and quieting.  When we reached the top of the Ben Johnson trail and found ourselves in a huge clearing looking out over the mountains that finally fell into the sea there was a moment of complete and totally clarity.  I was all of a sudden ready to not take myself so seriously, nor anyone else for that matter.  I realized that all too often I hide behind my sarcasm and humor and don't let the moments of genuine interaction come out.  Perhaps I am doing this because I am in a new city, meeting new people, going on a new adventure, sorting out my career all over again; I don't know.  But I do know that I made a pact with myself on that mountain...don't stress, don't panic, really exist in the moments you have fully and always remember to find the positive and make the most of what I'm handed.  Here's to that new adventure.

And, here's to an awesome frittata recipe I made last night, please, take the liberty to add whatever you have in your fridge to this.  I had to share it with you, so please, share you additions with me. Enjoy!

Potato Frittata
     makes one 10-inch cast iron skillet ofdeliciousness
     adapted from Joy the Baker (seriously, if you don't read her blog, you should...she's a very cool girl.)
  • 5 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 small yellow onion, sliced
  • 1/2 fennel bulb, diced
  • 9 small Russian banana potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/8-inch thick slices
  • 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 7 large eggs
  • 2 Tablespoons minced flat-leaf parsley
  • a hearty shake of dried minced chives
  • 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Heat a medium saute pan over medium high heat and drizzle with 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil.  Add the onions and fennel and cook until caramelized, about 8 minutes.  Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup of water, scraping any brown bits from the bottom with a wooden spoon.  
Cook until the water evaporates and the onions take on a uniform brown color, very quick, watch your pan.
 
Transfer the onions to the roasting pan and toss with the raw sliced potatoes.  Add 1 tablespoon of butter and the remaining 3 Tablespoons of oil.  Toss with your hands.  Season generously with salt and pepper.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally - be careful!  You're oven is extremely hot right now. 

Reduce the oven heat to 350 degrees F.  

Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, herbs and cream together.  Season with salt and pepper.  

Heat a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium high heat.  Melt the remaining 2 Tablespoons butter in the skillet, making sure that melted butter greases the side of the cast iron as well.  Add the cooked potatoes to the pan.  Top with the egg mixture.  Cover the skillet with lid and bake for 30 minutes.  Remove lid and bake for 10 minutes more.  

Slice and serve directly from the skillet, warm or at room temperature. Serve with an easy salad for dinner. If eating for breakfast, have some oj and maybe a slice of homemade toast.

xo

No comments:

Post a Comment