28 April 2011

Did it again.

I am currently working on a project with my niece about baking. I asked her what she wanted me to bake and she said 'bread, from scratch.'  So before I actually teach her how to do it, I've set out on my own mission to find a simple, easy recipe that's kid friendly.  

I initially tried the 'No Knead Bread' that was covered by Mark Bittman in the NYTimes a few years ago, that resurfaced last year.  I wasn't satisfied. And I don't know how that guy from Sullivan bakery doesn't have his dough all sticky and too tough to work with after the first rise - I keep adding flour and more flour and more flour.  So I tried it again, this time with a little extra salt and with a light knead at the suggestion of my Cook's Illustrated iPhone app.  Much, much happier.
I slashed the top in an 'x' and actually checked the temp inside the loaf...It's supposed to get to 210 degrees, I got to like 200 and got impatient and worried about burning.  This time around, the bread tastes better too. However, I'm still not 100% satisfied, so I have to come up with something else or tweek the recipe a few more times.

Have any simple bread recipes that you think a 7 year old might enjoy making?


No comments:

Post a Comment