22 September 2011

I made 'em again

I pickled.  I pickled carrots and green beans.  I don't have the proper pickling stuff....so I improvise!  I have tongs, I have a deep pot and I have old pickle jars (yes, I see the irony).

I haven't eaten dinner yet, I wanted to make pickles and I had a late snack, no worries though, 'bout to heat up left overs and poach an egg. 

Pickles.  Here's what I did:
6-8 medium carrots, cut into spears
a good handful of green beans, ends cut off
1 1/4 C white vinegar
1 1/4 C filtered water
1/2 T kosher salt

about a palmful of:
crushed bay leaves
yellow mustard seeds
whole black peppercorn
coriander seeds
fennel (much less than a handful)
dill
red pepper flakes
magic spice - if I could tell you what's in this, I would...but I don't know

Put everything in a pot, bring it to a boil.  MEANWHILE, put the chopped veggies in your sanitized jar let it hang out.  When the mixture comes to a boil spoon over the veggies, leave yourself 1/2 inch head space.  Put your lid on, tight. Then fill your big pot with water again, bring it to a boil, place your jar of veggies into this boiling liquid, let boil for 5 - 15 minutes. Use tongs to remove the jar, place it on a flat surface and DO NOT TOUCH it for until tomorrow.  Then when the jar is cool, push on the lid a little, if there is give and it makes a popping noise, you can't put these on your shelf, they have to go in the fridge.  They'll still be good and will keep for about a month.  If your lid has no give, you've done it!  You can put these babies on your shelf for up to 6 months (I think...any other picklers out there disagree with me?) If you can't wait to eat your creation - I understand - just give them like 3-4 days before you pop 'em open.
my picture is so small. :( Enjoy!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment