25 April 2011

Easter! Nummy Bread!

I was inspired by my Mother last night.  She said she was making Pork Roast for Easter dinner and we have a guest in town so...it seemed fitting to make a nice dinner.  It was great.

Roast Pork w. Mustard and Herb coating (I don't like the word coating, it feels kind of gross.  But I can't call is a rub or a glaze because it's not either of those things.) It was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Found it on epicurious.com.  Also made Seared Rainbow Chard w. Leeks (I added beet greens too) also found on epicurious.com, had I been away from my computer I would have used my handy-dandy iPhone app. Unnecessary statement.  Lastly, I threw together some mashed red potatoes w. garlic.  The most exciting part is that the Swiss Chard, the leeks, the beet greens and the green (!!) garlic all came from my farm share. Oh farm share, how I love you.

The highlight of today is that I am making a Banana Cranberry Walnut Cornmeal Quick Bread. I can't wait to show it to you. I tweeked the recipe from Joy the Baker. Here it is for you.
Banana Cranberry Walnut Cornmeal Quick Bread
adapted from Joy the Baker

Ingredients
  • 2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup medium or fine ground cornmeal
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup honey (or pure maple syrup if you have it on hand)
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 super ripe bananas
  • 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (reserving a small handful for decorating the top)
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
Arrange a rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour one 9x5x3-inch loaf pan, or two slightly smaller loaf pans.  Set aside the greased and floured loaf pans.  

In a large bowl, whisk together both flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder.  

In a smaller bowl whisk together honey, eggs, buttermilk, melted butter, bananas and vanilla extract.  Make sure you really mash up the bananas.  If you don't have buttermilk - and who does, you can make some.  I took a cup of milk and added 1 1/2 teaspoons of cream of tartar.

Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until blended.  

Fold in the cranberries and walnuts.  

Divide batter between two smaller loaf pans or into one large loaf pan. Spread evenly in pan and tap out the any bubbles.  Add the whole walnut halves and place in preheated oven.  I probably should have made two smaller loaves because I have bits of batter spilling over onto the bottom of my oven.  For smaller loaves bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaf comes of clean.  For the larger loaf, bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean. I baked mine for like 80 minutes. (yikes!)

Cool loaves in pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.  Invert onto a plate or board.  Serve warm with butter. 
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment